A message from The Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre National Alliance
Heart attack symptoms are not recognized in over 50% of women.
- Women are more likely to present with 3 or more symptoms in addition to chest pain.
- If you think someone is having a heart attack, seek immediate medical attention.
SYMPTOMS OF HEART ATTACK MOST OFTEN REPORTED BY WOMEN
- Chest pain or discomfort (ex. pressure, tightness, or burning)
- Pain in the jaw, neck, arm, or back
- Abnormal excessive sweating
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach pain or discomfort, or feelings of nausea or indigestion
OTHER ACCOMPANYING OR ASSOCIATED SYMPTOMS
- Unusual weakness or fatigue
- Back, shoulder or right arm pain
- Sleep disturbance
- Dizziness or light-headedness
- Fast or irregular heartbeat