Smoking Cessation Myth Busters
1) NICOTINE PATCHES WILL INTERFERE WITH MY MEDICATIONS.
FALSE – Nicotine patches are safe to use with all medications. SMOKING interferes with almost all medications.
2) I HAVE TRIED TOO MANY TIMES BEFORE, I CLEARLY CANNOT SUCCEED.
FALSE – Having tried before is a predictor of success. The more often people have tried to quit, the more likely they are to finally succeed. Practice makes perfect.
3) I DON’T WANT TO USE NICOTINE PATCHES; NICOTINE IS JUST TOO HARMFUL.
FALSE – Nicotine is addictive, but the damage from smoking is done by the thousands of chemicals contained in cigarette smoke.
4) SMOKING WHILE WEARING A NICOTINE PATCH IS DANGEROUS.
FALSE – Smoking while wearing a nicotine patch is perfectly safe. It will help you smoke less. Smoking while on the patch may indicate a inadequate dose of NRT.
5) USING PATCHES IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER NICOTINE REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS (SUCH AS GUM, INHALER, LOZENGES, ETC.) CAN BE HARMFUL.
FALSE – Using a combination of nicotine replacement products is safe and helps control cravings. Along with counseling, it will almost triple your chances of success.
6) SOME PEOPLE NEED TO WEAR MORE THAN ONE NICOTINE PATCH TO SUCCESSFULLY QUIT.
TRUE – The key to success is in adjusting the dosage to properly control your cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Patches contain a lot less nicotine than cigarettes and it is perfectly safe to use more than one at any given time.
7) NICOTINE PATCHES COST SO MUCH THAT THEY ARE NOT AN OPTION FOR MANY SMOKERS.
FALSE – For most smokers, nicotine replacement products will cost about half of what it costs to smoke. Since they are usually used for only a few months, the long term cost to you will be dramatically reduced. Dedicate the money that you are currently using to buy cigarettes to nicotine replacement products.
8) I CAN ONLY USE PATCHES FOR A LIMITED NUMBER OF WEEKS. USING THEM LONGER CAN BE DANGEROUS AND ALSO, I COULD BECOME ADDICTED TO THE PATCHES.
FALSE – There is NO TIME LIMIT on using patches and other nicotine replacement products. They are safe to use for as long as needed. Smoking is unsafe. You will not “become” addicted to the patches. You already have a nicotine addiction and gradually decreasing the dosage of the patches will help you control and your addiction while remaining smoke free.
9) PATCHES ARE NOT FOR ME. I AM ALLERGIC TO THEM. THEY CAUSE SKIN REDNESS AND KEEP ME AWAKE AT NIGHT.
FALSE – Nicotine patches contain nicotine ONLY. No smoker is allergic to nicotine. For most people, side effects can be managed successfully by simply rotating application sites and removing the patch at night. Bad past experiences may have been caused by improper dosage. Feel free to call us and we will help you make them work or find an alternative that does. Skin redness is typically a reaction to the patch adhesive.
10) CHAMPIX (VARENICLINE) IS SAFE TO USE EVEN FOR PEOPLE WITH A CARDIAC CONDITION.
TRUE – Champix is safe to use by people who have a cardiac condition and most other people. SMOKING IS NOT SAFE FOR ANYONE. Champix must be prescribed by a doctor who will continue to closely monitor its effect for the duration of treatment. Patches and other nicotine replacement products CAN SAFELY be used while using Champix and may increase your chances of being successful.
11) THE E-CIGARETTE HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE SAFE AND CAN HELP PEOPLE QUIT.
FALSE – We simply don’t know enough about the e-cigarette yet. There has been little or no unbiased, reliable scientific research to date that has demonstrated that it is safe and that it can help people quit. Studies are underway and if the ecigarette proves to be safe and to help people quit, we will recommended it in future.